Meet the Starters!

sourcorn 002

Yes, that IS a layer of “hooch” – alcoholy-yeasty liquid – risen to the top in Batch “B”.  It keeps on happening; the books and websites say not to panic.  Some tell you to pour it off, others say just to mix it in.  I do a bit of both:  pour off what I can, mix in the rest!

Batch “A” is beautiful here… all bubbly and nice.  That’s the one I’m using for tomorrow’s challah.  I think I will not be using much of it, and definitely adding a bit of commercial yeast… having trouble getting any good rising power with either of these starters.

Frown and double-frown.

Comments

Know what else you're gonna love?

Baking in Israel? Beware of FAKE condensed milk

Super-Easy Thick, Spreadable, Bakeable DIY Cream Cheese in Israel

Easy, tender, and affordable roast in Israel… yes, it IS possible!

More delicious kosher morsels!