Quest for the Perfect Challah: Suggestions…?

image Since this blog appears to have a few readers now., and by “a few” I mean the traditional usage of “THREE,” I’m just curious…

This week’s non-challah Shabbos is perhaps indicative of my general “challah ennui” (is it a googlewhack? no: 4340 hits), and I want a new recipe – a new challenge, maybe.

What’s your favourite challah? Does anyone want to bail us out by sending a challah recipe you absolutely LOVE?

What I like, in general: challah must be sweet. It must not have too much whole wheat, but some, or some spelt, is just fine. I do not love EGGS in challah, but most of our challahs lately have been made with eggs.

I am particularly looking for “next-day” challahs… ie, a loaf you are not afraid to bite into, perhaps slightly warmed on the blech but nevertheless officially “day-old” bread.

We are torn on the “density “ issue. Elisheva adores a thick, heavy loaf. I tend to prefer a bit on the fluffier side. I guess that means we’re open-minded.

If you’ve read this blog a bit, you know I’ve become picky about measurements and prefer to measure the REAL way – by weight. Anything else is guesswork. I will measure yeast, salt etc in tablespoons, and water/oil/honey in cups (though weights are fine for these, too), but dry like flour and sugar should be scaled. Metric or otherwise – my scale can handle anything!

So, nu? Hit me with your best challah recipe! I will try it and report back. If yours is a winner with the family, well… like I tell my kids, you’ll come away with the great satisfaction of a job well done.

p.s. Cake recipes welcome also. Preferably pareve. Preferably TONIGHT, in time to make for Shabbos tomorrow. :-)))

Comments

  1. Hi there,
    I seem to share your quest for the perfect challot. If you check out my blog, there are a number of challah recipes that meet that criteria. Check out www.fortheloveofbread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I have yet to even attempt the challah bread. It's on my list but I have a few cakes to make first. I finally got a flakey puffy pie pastry down though! And I love your blog. I come here before I go to allrecipes.com or betty crocker to get a bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and I love it. If you're looking for the perfect challah, I may have the answer for you. This is my go-to challah, I've been baking it practically every week for the past 6 or 7 years.

    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Nadavs-Delicious-Challah-95386

    I have yet to blog about it, but it's coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by! I will have to try it (big fan of recipezaar - anything 11 anonymous Internet users bake & love must be at least half-decent). To be honest, though, we LOVED Chavi's, so that's in line for this week.

    Hey, what am I even doing, thinking about bread on a fast day? :-o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Okay, guys... I'm turning moderation OFF on all my blogs. I will be patrolling for spam, so play nice!

Know what else you're gonna love?

Baking in Israel? Beware of FAKE condensed milk

Super-Easy Thick, Spreadable, Bakeable DIY Cream Cheese in Israel

Easy, tender, and affordable roast in Israel… yes, it IS possible!

More delicious kosher morsels!