The naked Sufganya (aka Jelly Donut!)

chanukah 006These are the same as Friday’s, made once again with the Balthazar’s Chocolate Bread dough.

They turned out great!  Much easier than I thought they would be, although the table is still a powdery, jammy mess.

The sourdough wasn’t quite ready from its overnight rest when I had to mix up the final dough (it was fridge-cold when I started it last night – I didn’t give it any time to warm up first), but because the recipe calls for added yeast, I didn’t worry about it too much, and the dough still rose fabulously well. 

It’s a moist dough, but far more workable (in my opinion) than the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day pain au chocolat.  If I was making it up as a loaf, I would definitely go with this recipe.

I used a plain round cookie cutter, let them rise a bit before frying, and filled the heavy pareve enamel pot with oil so as to ensure a perfect yummy sphere shape for each sufganya.

Et voila!  Here they are, fried up and naked, waiting for their powder…

chanukah 004

The jamming / jellying operation was pretty tricky, and there was quite a bit of jam goobering here and there.  I thought raspberry tasted much yummier than strawberry, but I ran out towards the end and hat to use strawberry on the last few.  The ones with strawberry just tasted like chocolatey toast, at least to me.

Here they are with a light sprinkling of icing sugar (unlike on Friday, when I overly drenched them):

 chanukah 005 

Definitely a hit at the Chanukah party!  Definitely one to make again.

Comments

Know what else you're gonna love?

Baking in Israel? Beware of FAKE condensed milk

Super-Easy Thick, Spreadable, Bakeable DIY Cream Cheese in Israel

Easy, tender, and affordable roast in Israel… yes, it IS possible!

More delicious kosher morsels!